Thanks, that's quite a response, too high even for my qualifications amounting
to mouse-clickingh and little else but I managed.

I looked at the command that the icon on my desktop sends and this was

"zynaddsubfx -I jack -O jack"
which I edited to just
"zynaddsubfx -a"

This did the job, wonder why it got changed as it used to work fine before?

Then I looked at the defalult buffer sizes and qsynth has only 64 while Zyn has
256. This I'm not sure what to make of. I do have some cutout now and then
(working with typically 12-28 track rosegarden files), so I'm increasing the
qsynth to 256 also and I'll see what comes loose :-)

Thanks again for your help