On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 15:43:49 +0100
Claire Darbaud <cdarb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a rusty dev who hasn't coded in years, caring for the kids... etc I
> used to work for Oracle as a custom dev consultant, some dba work, some
> web, a touch of sysadmin...
> I coded boring business stuff for many years... a long time ago.
>
> I've been researching music, the fundamentals of harmony, composition for
> decades...
>
> Now the kids have grown and I want to record my music, do some more
> research and also get back into coding and develop apps and games about
> music composition.
>
> I've come across Rosegarden in my search for a DAW with a simple interface
> that helps me keep on task. More signal, less noise...
>
> Rosegarden looks VERY promising... and I can't wait to get it opens a new
> can of worms... which linux distro should I install?
>
> I've read your FAQ, but it barely says anything about choosing a distro.
> Can someone help me gather the bits and pieces I need to get started?
>
> As in my search for a DAW, I'm looking for a distro with as little
> distraction as possible. I'm happy with having to install stuff in a
> terminal, use bash... yet I'd like to spend as little time as possible
> struggling with drivers.
>
> My PC is an ASUS laptop with a Core i7 10th gen with 16gb RAM
> I have a focusrite Scarlett solo sound card
> I want to use my dualo du-touch as a midi keyboard
>
> It is my understanding I need to decide on a linux distro, and then install
> ALSA and JACK before installing Rosegarden and Lillipond?
>
> Can you recommend a lightweight distro that's got what it takes to code and
> make music, yet has minimal sources of distraction?
>
> Thanks,
> Claire

i have a similar laptop (asus g73) no major probs
hardware wise on it or on my AMD desktop deathstar.
Have used Debian-based AvLinux in the past (devved
by a canadian musician) but am mostly on Suse Leap
or Tumbleweed. No major problems with KDE or XFCE
DE's ...being anything but a knowlegable user, more
like a permanent beginner :-)

love rosegarden, needless to say, they should do
away with all the fluff and just roll their own
distro!  :))))

NB midi hardware can be a 'drivers' issue took me a
long time before I could create a midi track with a
yamahaha keyboard, you want some positive 'specific'
references there before deciding

good luck