On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 17:06:03 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >>     pidof rosegarden
> >> followed by
> >>     kill nnnn
> >> seems to give a clean shutdown, even of a running instance. So all I
> >> need to do
> >> now is write a small program to combine those into a single command -
> >> might be
> >> able to do that in python.
> >>

> > In bash you should be able to just do:
> >
> > kill $(pidof rosegarden)
> >

>Or... with Python (including some fancy output in case the pid is not
>found, e.g. because rosegarden isn't actually running) - something like
>this:
>
>https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/2401192

Yes that worked fine, but I need to make a correction.

While it quietly shuts down Rosegarden, it still leaves the dot file claiming
another copy of your project is running, next time you start.

When Rosegarden shuts itself down, this file is removed, but not when told to
shutdown externally. Can this be made to happen?

My project is particularly targeting people unfamiliar with Linux, who would
have no idea what to do under these circumstances.

--
Will J Godfrey {apparently now an 'elderly'}
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/