Thanks, Will. Here's a slightly newer set of steps based on what I've learned this morning...

----------------
Boot into your real-time kernel.

Confirm that it is a preemptible kernel.

    $ grep -i config_preempt= /boot/config-$(uname -r)
    CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

If you don't see "CONFIG_PREEMPT=y" then you need to install a preemptible kernel.

Check for voluntary preemption. Ideally this should be "y". However, I've had no problems with it "not set", so "y" might be the default. Some more digging into the kernel code is in order here.

    $ grep -i preempt_voluntary /boot/config-$(uname -r)
    # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set

Check for dynamic preemption. This allows the preemption mode to be specified on the kernel command line.

    $ grep -i preempt_dynamic /boot/config-$(uname -r)
    CONFIG_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y
    CONFIG_HAVE_PREEMPT_DYNAMIC=y

If both of those are set to "y", then we need to check the grub configuration to make sure the kernel command line is asking for full preemption (or nothing at all).

    $ grep -i preempt /etc/default/grub

You should either see nothing or "preempt=full" along with possibly other options. Anything else might mean trouble and requires a change to your grub config.
----------------

Ted.

   Will, can you go through this first draft series of steps on the
problematic box and let me know if it finds the issue?  Thanks.

Boot into the problematic kernel.

Confirm that it is a preemptible kernel.

     $ grep -i config_preempt= /boot/config-$(uname -r)
     CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

If you don't see "CONFIG_PREEMPT=y" then you need to install a
preemptible kernel.

Check the grub configuration to make sure nothing is specified on the
kernel command line related to preemption.

     $ grep -i preempt /etc/default/grub

You should either see nothing or "preempt=full" along with possibly
other options.  Anything else might mean trouble and requires a change
to your grub config.

Check for voluntary preemption.  (Not sure how this fits into
everything, but it might cause problems and need some further
investigation.)