On Fri, 2019-11-01 at 07:09 +0100, Job Snijders wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 01:23:44AM +0000, Job Snijders wrote:
> > >
> > > This was my first thought as well, but then I discovered this
> > > IPv6
> > > thing :)
> >
> > Other than that there is lots of unassigned space in IPv6, and no
> > shortage, what is the relevance? Did you take a look at how many
> > unassigned/unallocated IPv6 prefixes (managed by RIPE NCC) are
> > actually
> > in the DFZ?
>
> I ran the numbers, as far as I can tell we only have a handful of
> IPv6
> prefixes in the default-free zone that are RIPE NCC managed space,
> and
> in the 'reserved' category (looked at today's delegated-latest)

The issue for me is not that there are many such prefixes sitting in
the DFZ in steady state, but that as part of attack-prep they can be
stood up to defeat loose-urpf-based anti-spoofing mechanisms.

We currently mitigate this using the team cymru bgp service, which has
two primary drawbacks:
1. the dependency on the underlying transport of the multihop bgp
session
2. the implicit trust that we place in TC (however merited) to make
assertions about the status of the address space.

The current proposal solves #2 outright.

#1 would only be partially solved, given that we would still rely on
connectivity between our validation caches and the ripe publication
endpoints. However, this should be far less fragile in the face of
short-term reachability issues than a bgp session.

I still support.

Cheers,

Ben