Jan,
Thanks for this explanation.  It sounds like the "original" and "ultimate"
concepts have essentially been removed from "submitter" and "receiver" in
1000 loop, leaving it to describe the immediate, point-to-point
submitter/receiver.  So how does loop 1000 provide more useful information
than what we have in the ISA?  This really ties into some of the issues we
are struggling with in the "Routing and Identifiers" project.  If all the
"outside world" EDI addressing issues can be kept inside a point-to-point
model, then we only need to put the principal identifiers and addresses in
the ISA... eliminating the need for loop 1000 all together, and using the
plan, provider and subscriber/patient ID information further down in the
transactions to accomplish "internal" addressing and routing.

A dichotomy seems to be developing within the "addressing and routing"
discussion between a model that makes sense conceptually to a "small
provider" and/or his software vendor, and one that makes sense to a CH...
at least in the CH-world as it exists today.  (Trying to predict what the
CH world will look like in 2004 is threatening to make my head explode!)

What would be the consequence of just erasing Loop 1000 from the IG?

Regards,
Chris