Dave,
I think I did see a little discussion of the "DINS+4", but it strikes me as
a partially "de-standardized" standard intended to accomplish what you
could also do by requesting a unique DUNS for every department, plan, or
incoming message portal in your company.  D&B might not condone this,
however... preferring to have only one unique DUNS for each identifiable
business enterprise.  But it doesn't sound like they really support or even
acknowledge the "DUNS+" hack either.  The govt. could render this moot by
getting off its butt and creating a national registry of (tax-paying)
business organisms with some sort of unique identifier.

Without the full cooperation of a company like D&B and an agreement to
support the ID-system the way people want to use it, it strikes me as risky
to recommend it as a primary communication identifier for healthcare
EDI.  If we were going to lean on someone to help support a national
business ID registry, it may as well be the fed. govt.

-Chris