William,

My observation is as follows:
Clearing houses are at a crossroad.  There is an enormous potential for them
to make lots of money and sign up many new clients, even lure them into a
per-transaction charge. WebMD, aka Envoy-NEIC, is working hard on a HIPAA
product, whereby they import claims through UB92/HCFA-1500 files or some
other ways, convert them in a desktop system to their own format, transmit
them to the clearing house and eventually turn them into X12. Then they
handle all the EDI functions for providers, Remittance advices, 277s etc.
and give reports etc. to the providers.  I am still waiting on more details
but it is definetely in the works. WebMD does well as it is, without HIPAA
EDI and I know hospitals where WebMD was a god send gift.  Right now WebMD
does not make money,  Microsoft invested in them to buy Envoy.  I believe
that their plan is to get market share and then raise charges.
Then there are clearing houses that either belong to the software vendors or
have a tight relationship with them. For example McKesson HBOC, the leading
hospital software vendor,  offers only HIPAA transaction sets in conjunction
with their own clearing house. You cannot handle your own EDI transactions,
even when you buy for $$$ the EC2000 HIPAA component.  Their business model
is definetely geared towards dependence and creating a tap into the revenue
stream.
Then again other, independent clearing houses seem asleep at the wheel and I
can't blame them.  HIPAA EDI is much more complicated then to handle
purchase orders for supplying widgets to WalMart.

Coming back to the hospitals that I work with.  There is always a frantic
need to save money and those per-transaction charges add up. If a hospitals
could save money by doing their own EDI they would. There is business to be
had for software houses who develop a HIPAA frontend for provider systems.
Of course the provider's software vendors might discourage them and conjure
threatening szenarios.

Payers on the other side don't want to take in "dirty" EDI files, they
rather deal with a limited set of trading partners.  In Maryland, by
regulation payers can only receive files from "certified" trading partners,
whatever that means.  Still I think the issue with "dirty" files can be
resolved with EDI testing tools.  HIPAA states that payers have to be able
to process EDI files if a provider so desires. Does that mean that they also
have to provide a drop-off mechanism? We can't expect providers to sign up
for all the clearing houses in order to submit claims to payers.  Neither
can we expect payers to be happy if they have to go through a clearing house
and pay a fee for each submission that a provider gives to the payer.

I come back to email as a highly attractive and cost saving solution.  I
think the transport and routing mechanisms are still open and it is up to
us, in this group, to establish workable solutions.

Martin Scholl
Scholl Consulting Group, Inc.
301-924-5537 Tel
301-570-0139 Fax