> On 15 Mar 2018, at 9:19 am, Richard Walker <richardwal...@letterboxes.org>
> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2018, at 22:53, t...@powys.org wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to a version of Linux that will, at least, run the
>> new test version of RPCemu on a Mac?  Please.
>
> Some time ago, I used Virtual Box on my Mac so I could run Linux.
> Easy-peasy - it all 'just worked'.
>
> If I were you, I'd get Virtual Box for Mac OS X from:
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
>
> and then pick a pre-built VM from here:
> https://virtualboxes.org/images/
>
> I think I used Ubuntu at the time, but presumably anything reasonably
> popular should work for RPCEmu.

Many thanks for all the above.  I have now got Ubuntu 17.10 going under
VirtualBox on my Mac.  The only serious problem was choosing the right
networking option on VirtualBox: it needed to be Bridged Adaptor.

After several re-readings of "How to compile from source - Linux" at
<https://www.marutan.net/rpcemu/testing/linuxcompile.html> I have managed to
compile rpcemu.  (Incredible, at various stages I thought I would never get
that far!)

The final stage is to download a ROM and put it in the directory
<rpcemu-0.8.102> but that will take me a little more time so thought I had
better stop and say many thanks for helping me get this far.  I'm going for
5.22 so that I have a backup machine for my ARMX6.  If all goes well, I will be
able to abandon VRPC which is taking up an enormous amount of precious space on
my SSD on the Mac; rpc-emu's environment is on a USB linked disk that is four
times slower than the SSD but faster than any other disc I have plugged into
the Mac.

regards,

Tim

--