On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> This moves those macros under the maintenance of the rpm team.
> I guess this could work for a few projects, let's say perl and python,
> but I don't see how this can scale (to perl, python, java, js, lisp, mono,
> swift, node, ocaml, octave, php, R, ruby, tcl, etc, etc, etc).
> RPM should instead provide a featureful base upon which individual
> projects can build.

I think the assumption here is that you could use it as a base to
start from, and that regular merging would occur.

For example, Fedora and SUSE both have GitHub organizations. The RPM
organization repository containing these macros could be forked by
both organizations. From there, each distribution would apply their
own changes to suit their needs. In addition, they can push changes
back upstream through a pull request and regularly resync with master.
This makes it much easier to keep compatibility closer together.

This mechanism would make it easy for existing distributions and new
distributions to be able to properly source what they need to support
a wide variety of software as RPM packages.

It would also keep us from sacrificing speed for compatibility, as the
distributions would be regularly forking and merging for their own
distributions.