On 04/11/2016 08:30 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> I would shoot for idea where the bla.macros would just sit in git and
>> the packages would specify as sources the macros ie.:
>> Source99: https://github.com/rpm/rpm-macros/archive/python.macros

Yes. This is about what I had in mind when suggesting a shared repo.
There is no point in making this a real "package" with release cycles
and everything that comes with it. Think more of it like an wiki where
people can share patches and ideas and pull out the exact version of the
file they need for one particular packager in their distro - may be even
applying some more patches on top.

> This moves those macros under the maintenance of the rpm team.
> I guess this could work for a few projects, let's say perl and python,
> but I don't see how this can scale (to perl, python, java, js, lisp, mono,
> swift, node, ocaml, octave, php, R, ruby, tcl, etc, etc, etc).
> RPM should instead provide a featureful base upon which individual
> projects can build.

I fully agree with you here. The idea is not to get "those macros under
the maintenance of the rpm team". We - as rpm upstream - can't and don't
want to take over the work that the distros need to do. This is about
offering a shared and neutral place where people from different distros
can meet, easily have a look what everyone else is doing and talk about
where they can share the same macros - and where not.

So my idea is to have a repository where like two, three dozen people
may have either commit access or have people closely at hand that can
merge in their changes. So the content is actually maintained by people
from the different distros that do have the domain knowledge of all
those languages or package types.

I think this is acceptable security wise as people are supposed to have
an eye on the files they care about and not blindly pull them out of the
repo.

Florian

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill