On Tue, Feb 1, 2022 at 3:52 PM Kevin Kofler via rpmfusion-developers
<rpmfusion-developers@lists.rpmfusion.org> wrote:

> Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> > CentOS has moved the content to vault, so I've found a more suitable
> > mirror until we migrate to rhel/Stream kind of repos.
>
> Why not use Alma or Rocky?

I will note that while I have not tested in the past
few months, I have experienced certain artifacts(*)
when trying to use mock builds with Alma (their
use of modularity breaks some existing dependency
resolution for existing package builds) and Rocky
(when using gcc-toolset-10 the annobin invocation
results in numerous build errors for a package I
have).  Both may be partially a packaging (spec file)
issue, but neither problem exists with centos
stream 8, so there are some differences in the
distribution layouts/builds between the various clones.

As always, those issues may be able to be worked
around, but in my experience those clones are not
always just a drop-in replacement, so some testing
(probably a mass rebuild) would need to be
performed just to be sure.

Ultimately, the centos 8 support pivot in the middle
of the lifecycle of el8 has just made things far more
complicated than I believe most (and certainly I)
wanted, and the resulting additional workloads
that has imposed on Nicolas and colleagues are
certainly an unexpected (and likely un-resourced)
support burden.

(*) When I have some free time to look at the root
causes, and they are indeed bugs in the distros
(rather than my own packaging issue) I'll open
bugs in their trackers, but since centos stream 8
works, I have not been especially motivated to
this point.  And then there is the ability to get a
(free) redhat subscription for at least some use
cases (although I have no idea whether that free
subscription can be used for the rpmfusion koji
builders).