On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Dan North <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Jim.
>
> I guess I'm not a purist then - that looks fine to me, and it's probably
> something I would consider doing too.
>
> The thing to bear in mind is that there is magic going on when you run
> steps. Each step in a scenario is run in the context of the same object
> instance (which you don't get to see explicitly) by pixies, which means any
> @variables you set in one step should be visible to any other steps in the
> same scenario. I don't think of this as global state - it's simply a
> sensible way to share state across steps. You can think of the object the
> steps run in as a "world" (it might even still be called that - it was at
> one point) where you can set and verify state.

The debate seems to be whether step definitions should be stateful or not.
In practice this is achieved by setting one or more @variables in a
step and reusing them in a different step - all within a scenario.

Both are fine, but beware that as your codebase grows and you have
hundred or so step definitions, things can become *really* hard to
maintain.
It won't bite you when you start on a new codebase, but in my
experience stateful steps will bite you later.

Having experienced this pain in one project, I decided to try out
stateless steps exclusively on the next project. I've found stateless
steps to be a tad more verbose than stateful ones, both in the text
and in the implementation (because you have to pass "identifiers"
around). Still, the improved maintainability of my features and
scenarios using this approach outweighs this slight increase in
verbosity.

Here is an example of a stateless scenario: (As a convention I'm
"quoting" variables)

http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/ba/tree/master/features/submit_proposal.feature

You can see the extra verbosity I'm talking about in the repetition of
"Aslak", "Beerfest" etc.

I'm still pragmatic about this of course, but now you know some of my
experience.

Aslak