What version of RSpec are you using?  Run `rspec -v` (or look in your
`Gemfile.lock` if you are using bundler) to find out.  If you're using
RSpec 3.x, I would absolutely expect `RSpec.describe` to work.  But on
RSpec 2.x it should not.  It was part of the move in 3.x to support a zero
monkey patching mode:

http://rspec.info/blog/2014/05/notable-changes-in-rspec-3/#new-exposedslglobally-config-option-to-disable-rspec-core-monkey-patching

HTH,
Myron