Hi Dave,
>  > I get prompted for my password
>
>  I don't know if you're complaining about the prompt or not, but that's
>  entirely up to ssh; whatever ssh does to run any command will be the same
>  here.

Hehe, no, I guess I should have mentioned that I did enter my password, and it
is correct ... That part seems to be working fine.

>  > and rsync tells me its building the file list
>  > then hangs.  I noticed that if I don't specificy a path for rsync, it fails, so
>  > I copied rsync from /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin (for whatever reason, rsync
>  > couldn't find it in /usr/local/bin even though its in my path).
>
>  Sshd doesn't use your own path on the remote machine, it has its own default.
>  You can specify an explicit path to rsync on the client side with --rsync-path.

Oh, duh, i should have remembered that.  I did use the --rsync-path paramter
with no success.

>  > rsync will
>  > just hang like that, not doing anything ... what am I doing wrong?  The file
>  > 'file3' is only 10 bytes!
>
>  Ssh hanging is a known problem in some of the earlier 2.4.x series versions
>  of rsync, although I don't think it 't happenned on such a small amount of
>  data.  Try it on rsync 2.4.6 if you're not.  You also don't mention what
>  operating system(s) you are using.

Hm.  I am running rsync 2.4.6, with OpenSSH 2.3.0p1.  Both boxes have this
config, and are running linux:
> I recently installed rsync on 2 linux boxes I have here.

This is RedHat 6.2, 2.2.17 kernel.

-e