On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:59:18AM -0500, John Stoffel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a followup to bug report 2779 on the rsync bug tracking web
> site, I'm also seeing the hang in waitid() on the master process when
> trying to do an rsync on a single host.

<snip>

> Thanks,
> John
>    John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.lucent.com - 978-952-7548

> Other people have reported similar experiences but nobody has pointed to a
> problem in rsync; the problem is more likely to be in NFS on the NetApp or
> Solaris machines.  I believe most NFS traffic goes over UDP but do you happen
> to know if it using TCP?  We have seen many problems with TCP connections
> when rsync is communicating between two different machines.

Here is some more data. Different setup, yet similar end result-- but
no answers.

Once again I saw a very simliar hang last weekend. I put a new HD in
my home PC and was rsyncing from one IBM IDE disk to a second IBM IDE
hard disk. Linux 2.2.18. Rsync 2.4.6.

After moving about 6G of files rsync would stop. I checked the
/proc/pid(s)/fd dir and didn't see any open 'real' files (like I do
when rsync is actaully moving data. I CNTL-C'd the rsync, ran the same
cmd again and it would finish up the job. I love that about rsync.

I killed the whole dest directory tree and ran it again (for testing).
It still hung. Same file it hung on and same resolution.

I'll run it again and provide better details. I realize that rsync has
sometimes taken unfair blame for TCP bugs, NFS bugs, ssh bugs, rsh
bugs, OS bugs, etc -- but I still think there might be something that
can be improved -- either a hard-to-find problem or a different way to
handle a infrequent exception.

Is there an int64 problem here? A compiler mess up? A cast int64->int
that confuses something?

I was not using -W,  just rsync -av path1 path2  (no :'s in any path).

eric

> Try using "-W" to disable the rsync rolling checksum algorithm when copying
> between two NFS mounts, because that causes extra NFS traffic.  Rsync's
> algorithm is optimized for minimizing network traffic between its two
> halves at the expense of extra local access and in your case the "network"
> is between processes on the same machine and the "local" is over a
> network.
>
> - Dave Dykstra

Eric T. Whiting                                 AMI Semiconductors
(208) 234-6717                                  2300 Buckskin Road
(208) 234-6659 (fax)                            Pocatello,ID 83201
[EMAIL PROTECTED]