Dave> Other people have reported similar experiences but nobody has
Dave> pointed to a problem in rsync; the problem is more likely to be
Dave> in NFS on the NetApp or Solaris machines.  I believe most NFS
Dave> traffic goes over UDP but do you happen to know if it using TCP?
Dave> We have seen many problems with TCP connections when rsync is
Dave> communicating between two different machines.

We're using plain UDP NFS as far as I know, I certainly haven't
explicitly enabled it.

Dave> Try using "-W" to disable the rsync rolling checksum algorithm
Dave> when copying between two NFS mounts, because that causes extra
Dave> NFS traffic.  Rsync's algorithm is optimized for minimizing
Dave> network traffic between its two halves at the expense of extra
Dave> local access and in your case the "network" is between processes
Dave> on the same machine and the "local" is over a network.

So I should go back and use 2.4.6 then?

Thanks,
John
x27548