From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 3:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LFS support on AIX 4.3.3

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 04:39:18PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 15 Mar 2001, "Willeat, Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/prg_lr_
files.htm
> > explains how to enable large file support on AIX. The fillowing line
> > was added to the config.h file:
> >
> > #define _LARGE_FILES 1
>
> I committed this to rsync.h (v1.98), so it should be in 2.4.7.  It's
> unconditionally defined.  If somebody on AIX could build from anoncvs
> and confirm that it works that would be great.  (Mail me if you would
> like help with CVS.)

ICK! Please undo your change. Defining _LARGE_FILES as is done in
rsync.h means everyone will be impacted (Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux,
FreeBSD, Tru64 UNIX, ...). Discussion has already occurred on this
list about LFS support:
  http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2000-May/002182.html
  http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/rsync/2000-May/002199.html

If the current configure test is broken for AIX, the autoconf test
should be fixed. Also, Andrew is probably going to move away from the
explicit use of 64-bit data types (like off64_t). Paul Eggert has
written an autoconf macro, AC_SYS_LARGEFILE, which is now a *standard*
part of autoconf in CVS, that detects what to add to CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS to get LFS support on your OS. I think this is the direction
we should head.

--
albert chin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])