Jason Haar wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 08:51:40PM +0100, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> > I have certainly seen large files that couldn't be "repaired" by rsync
> > and needed to be redownloaded.
>
> Indeed. In this case I wonder if the original was downloaded in ASCII mode
> instead of binary? That would definitely be a download-from-scratch repair...

I downloaded the original (iso) file using ncftp, with commands:

$ ncftp
ncftp> open carroll.cac.psu.edu
ncftp> cd pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/iso/
ncftp> get mandrakefreq-i586-20010316.iso

Unfortunately, my ISP (who changed the TOS since I signed up), kept
cutting me off after nominally 12 hours (but actually 4 to 12 hours), so
I had to periodically resume the download.  Still, ncftp should have
handled that without errors, and, the commands I've listed should not
have done an ASCII transfer, and, I've done this before with no
problem.  (But the previous instance was about 3 months ago and before
the ISP started cutting me off.  I might have had to resume the previous
downloaded isos once or twice each.

Anyway, I remain puzzled.  And, I'm trying to read Andrew Tridge's
thesis.
Randy Kramer