Thanks for the helpful advice.

In view of the conflicting advice from Joe and Kevin I tried creating a couple
of very small directories test1 and test2, to see what happens when the rsync
command
rsync -avi —dry-run test1/ test2/
is given. I was pleased to see that —dry-run does explicitly say when a file is
being deleted.
Joe’s email is correct and it seems that Kevin’s version would not satisfy my
third requirement.

Joe says “It depends on exactly what you want to achieve”. I think my
objectives were very clearly stated, but I’m happy to clarify if necessary.

Could someone possibly elaborate on Joe’s advice, with more detail? I would be
very grateful.
On the first pass, it seems that one should just do
rsync -avi -E SOURCE/ TARGET/
Howevr t’s not clear to me what the rsync command should be on the second pass.
I could easily generate a list of files/directories in TARGET/ that should not
be deleted or changed, and put these into a file “somewhere". Then I could give
an rsync command with the option —delete, but how do I protect the entries in
my “somewhere” file from deletion?

thanks for any help
David