This is looking good and very helpful to an rsync novice. I will try the
modification

rsync --dry-run -avi --delete --filter 'protect /*’ --filter ‘protect /.*’
SOURCE/ TARGET/

and see what it produces. I do have a number of directories and files beginning
with a dot in TARGET and these need to be protected.
Unfortunately, the output from —dry-run is still likely to be sufficiently
extensive that looking over it won’t be a completely certain test.

I therefore ask
"Does the above modification seem right to the experts?”

Two supplementary points, if I may. Do you advise -ai or -avi? And why do you
prefer one over the other?
I don’t understand the line of rsync output that reads

David