On Thu, 24 Nov 2016, matthew.gaetano wrote:

Using the Rebind Interval and TCP load balancing has its limits. The higher
the volume and velocity the harder it becomes too balance overall. The
interval can not be too high as it risks overloading a single node in a
cluster. The interval can not be too low as it risks overhead with the
opening and closing of TCP connections.

in theory yes, in practice, I'm not so sure. I've had no problems using the rebind interval process at over 100K messages/sec load balanced across 20 machines.

Now, I did this by running rsyslog on the destination machines and then having it deliver the messages to the local process that were the final destination. Rsyslog was easily able to receive and buffer the bursts.

I aim to have the rebind interval for N destinations be ~1/N to 1/2n seconds