In this case, I seem to remember that number is defined as being followed
by a space, so you can't use it if the number is followed by a newline.
I'll have to confirm that...but may I know why? Should I fill an issue if
it's indeed that way?

I think it's a problem, several of the types require a space at the end, and
I think they should all be modified to allow either a space or a
end-of-line.
ack. It's on my list for early next year.
May I create an issue somewhere?

* A or B (doc states it does)
* A or nothing (that was my real question)

I'm not sure if you can have a blank item on one branch or not. If not, can
you have the branches both include a required item? (either the one before
or the one after)
I *think* (but do not know for sure) this might work. Else I'll add
early next year as well. Conceptionally, it really is alternative with
a void branch.

Once I get an "alternative" working, I'll try to have an empty branch. If it doesn't work, I'll open an issue :)

Thank you all!