On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, deoren wrote:

On 7/10/17 5:13 PM, David Lang wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, deoren wrote:

I checked Debian 9 and that release appears to be handling the rsyslog configuration the same way as CentOS 7: run as root, do not attempt to drop privileges. Ubuntu's rsyslog package on the other hand does make the attempt, as does the package provided by the Ubuntu PPA.

Provided that the local sysadmin doesn't rely on dynamic file creation and instead pre-creates any needed log files, an override for the /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/var.conf does not appear to be necessary.

If there is something new that's needed to let rsyslog create files as needed, that's a significant regression and should be fixed upstream in whatever is requiring it.

Especially with dynafiles, it's not possible to create all the log files ahead of time.

David Lang

Hi David,

My comment wasn't as clear as it should have been. The /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/var.conf file targets specific directories and one of those is /var/log. By default /var/log is set to 0755, so if rsyslog is to generate files dynamically at the root of /var/log, then the override is needed. Otherwise, if you specify that files are to be dynamically created within a subdirectory that rsyslog has access to ('/var/log/rsyslog_clients' for example) then dynamic files are created properly.

Dynamic filename generation within a subdirectory is working fine for me now with rsyslog 8.27.0 from the PPA. It's the dynamic creation within /var/log that is not working when using the PPA.

Please file a bug within Ubuntu, rsyslog (or any other program) should not need special configs to create files in directories they have permissions to, and if they configure rsyslog to not have permission to create files in /var/log, they have done something very stupid.

How have they managed to do this? have they changed the AppArmor configs to no longer allow rsyslog to create files in /var/log? If they did, they should revert to the prior permissions.

My Ubuntu desktop doesn't even have a /usr/lib/tempfiles.d directory.