On Mon, 6 Nov 2017, Steven Libby wrote:

I would expect to see excessive CPU utilization or Disk
I/O if the database was struggling to keep up with the rsyslog queue, but
perhaps that expectation is incorrect?

sometimes you run into locking issues where CPU utilization and disk I/O actually drop because the system is busy waiting.

Regards,
Steven