Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 17:47:11 -0700 (MST)
From: dchappelle via rsyslog <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
To: rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com
Cc: dchappelle <chapp...@gmail.com>
Subject: [rsyslog] Ubuntu 16 rsyslogd not creating log files

I am running a vanilla install of Ubuntu 16 and my rsyslogd is not creating
new log files for me. I added a new filter rule and restarted rsyslogd.
After doing so and generating log messages for that rule, the target log
file is not created. If I manually create the file my log messages are then
logged. From all of the reading I have done, rsyslogd is supposed to be
creating this file for me. It is a pain in the arse to have to go and
manually create the file. Here is my rsyslogd deets:

dchappelle@L164:/etc/rsyslog.d$ rsyslogd -v
rsyslogd 8.16.0, compiled with:
       PLATFORM:                               x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
       PLATFORM (lsb_release -d):
       FEATURE_REGEXP:                         Yes
       GSSAPI Kerberos 5 support:              Yes
       FEATURE_DEBUG (debug build, slow code): No
       32bit Atomic operations supported:      Yes
       64bit Atomic operations supported:      Yes
       memory allocator:                       system default
       Runtime Instrumentation (slow code):    No
       uuid support:                           Yes
       Number of Bits in RainerScript integers: 64

See http://www.rsyslog.com for more information.

Here is my /etc/rsyslogd.conf file:

dchappelle@L164:/etc/rsyslog.d$ rsyslogd -v
rsyslogd 8.16.0, compiled with:
       PLATFORM:                               x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
       PLATFORM (lsb_release -d):
       FEATURE_REGEXP:                         Yes
       GSSAPI Kerberos 5 support:              Yes
       FEATURE_DEBUG (debug build, slow code): No
       32bit Atomic operations supported:      Yes
       64bit Atomic operations supported:      Yes
       memory allocator:                       system default
       Runtime Instrumentation (slow code):    No
       uuid support:                           Yes
       Number of Bits in RainerScript integers: 64

See http://www.rsyslog.com for more information.
dchappelle@L164:/etc/rsyslog.d$ cd ../
dchappelle@L164:/etc$ cat rsyslog.conf
#  /etc/rsyslog.conf    Configuration file for rsyslog.
#
#                       For more information see
#                       /usr/share/doc/rsyslog-doc/html/rsyslog_conf.html
#
#  Default logging rules can be found in /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf

#################
#### MODULES ####
#################

module(load="imuxsock") # provides support for local system logging
module(load="imklog")   # provides kernel logging support
#module(load="immark")  # provides --MARK-- message capability

# provides UDP syslog reception
#module(load="imudp")
#input(type="imudp" port="514")

# provides TCP syslog reception
#module(load="imtcp")
#input(type="imtcp" port="514")

# Enable non-kernel facility klog messages
$KLogPermitNonKernelFacility on

###########################
#### GLOBAL DIRECTIVES ####
###########################

#
# Use traditional timestamp format.
# To enable high precision timestamps, comment out the following line.
#
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat

# Filter duplicated messages
$RepeatedMsgReduction on

#
# Set the default permissions for all log files.
#
$FileOwner syslog
$FileGroup adm
$FileCreateMode 0640
$DirCreateMode 0755
$Umask 0022
$PrivDropToUser syslog
$PrivDropToGroup syslog

#
# Where to place spool and state files
#
$WorkDirectory /var/spool/rsyslog

#
# Include all config files in /etc/rsyslog.d/
#
$IncludeConfig /etc/rsyslog.d/*.conf

--
Sent from: http://rsyslog-users.1305293.n2.nabble.com/