Hi Rainer, hi everyone,

In addition to a dependency on rsyslog, one of our packages now depends on
librdkafka and librdkafka-devel.

We want to use the librdkafka packages provided by epel, nothing fancy.

I'm seeing a conflict between the librdkafka1 package in the rsyslog repo
(note the "1" at the end of the library name) and the ones provided by epel.

 librdkafka          x86_64 0.11.3-1.el7   epel
326 k
 librdkafka-devel  x86_64 0.11.3-1.el7   epel
 43 k
 librdkafka1         x86_64 0.8.5-0         rsyslog_v8
  100 k

Transaction check error:
  file /usr/lib64/librdkafka++.so.1 conflicts between attempted installs of
librdkafka1-0.8.5-0.x86_64 and librdkafka-0.11.3-1.el7.x86_64
  file /usr/lib64/librdkafka.so.1 conflicts between attempted installs of
librdkafka1-0.8.5-0.x86_64 and librdkafka-0.11.3-1.el7.x86_64

Can librdkafka1 be removed from the rsyslog repo? What is the rationale for
pinning a version of librdkafka via the librdkafka1 package?

If librdkafka1 must stay in the rsyslog repo what do you recommend as the
best practice for resolving this conflict?

I see a lot of "adisconbuild-librdkafka*" packages in the repo. Why are
they there? Is the solution to change the dependency in *our* package form
librdkafka to adiscon-librdkafka? I might be comfortable with that if I
know why the adiscon packages are there.

As a fallback we could add librdkafka as an external project via CMake and
build from source but I wanted to check in here first before proceeding.

Apologies if I missed something obvious. I did my best googling
due-diligence and couldn't find anyhing satisfactory.

Thanks for your time & patience!