Scenario #2 is the expected behaviour according to all scrip documentation
included with RT.  The SLA extension appears to be contradicting this.
Therefore, I still believe that the SLA extension is at fault and that a
bug report for the SLA extension should be submitted via the URL given in
my previous message.

When you change a ticket's subject and status in a single update, two
transactions are created.  A TransactionBatch scrip should run only once
for both transactions.  The SLA extension seems to be interfering with this
expected behaviour.