On 30 Nov 2015, at 15:02, dwdixon wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly- I was sort of on the right track based on what you've indicated but long story short I think you're correct and this info has helped me further...When I initially did a "httpd -S" I
got:

# httpd -S
httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

That complaint is in the context of the default config that handles requests Apache can't determine as being for any virtual host. Not a serious problem, since you don't really want that config catching anything, I assume...

VirtualHost configuration:
192.168.1.97:80      rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu
(/etc/httpd/conf.d/rt.conf:1)
Syntax OK

So, Apache httpd is seeing the config file for the RT virtual host. That's good.

So I then played around with adding the ServerName directive in my rt.conf:

<VirtualHost rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu:80>
     ### Optional apache logs for RT
     # Ensure that your log rotation scripts know about these files
     # ErrorLog /opt/rt4/var/log/apache2.error
     # TransferLog /opt/rt4/var/log/apache2.access
     # LogLevel debug
     ServerName rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu
     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

     ScriptAlias / /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server.fcgi/

     DocumentRoot "/opt/rt4/share/html"
     <Location />

         Require all granted

         Options +ExecCGI
         AddHandler fcgid-script fcgi
     </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Still got the same complaining output as above from "httpd -S" after adding
ServerName to rt.conf....

At which point I have to ask what may seem like an insulting question but really it isn't meant as such:

Are you restarting Apache after every config change?

Because while "httpd -S" will parse your current config files and tell you what Apache httpd would do if it was using those files, the live httpd processes are always using whatever config was parsed and loaded when their master process (assuming you're using the pre-fork MPM) was started.

so then I added my
rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu as the ServerName in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

Don't do that. Or if you do, remove the VirtualHost "tags" around the config for RT. You DO NOT want the default host config for Apache handling requests for RT if you have RT configured inside a virtual host section. If you tell the default config its name is rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu, it will handle requests for rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu.
[...]

I'm not certain what seems to be the issue at this point...nor why when I add the ServerName directive to my rt.conf inside <VirtualHost> it doesn't recognize it, and only does when I add it to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf. You also mentioned I could me missing an Include directive in httpd.conf,
any idea what that might be?

Since httpd -S is picking up your rt.conf file, that Include directive is correct.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the actual RT config in /opt/rt4/RT_SiteConfig.pm. If you haven't set WebDomain to rt-ir-sandbox.snip.snip.snip.edu, RT might (not sure off the top of my head...) redirect requests to use its default WebDomain, localhost", and if you're testing with a browser on the host itself that'll still work but hit the default config.