It seems it's possible to perform a transaction that does not contain any
comment or correspondence text.

For example, you might change the current state of the ticket, update time
worked, change requestors, etc. I think even changing custom fields on a ticket
might be possible.

However, it seems functionality on custom fields on the transactions themselves
is a bit limited. If I try for example making a transaction with an empty
comment, where I update time worked, and also set a custom field, that does not
seem to be reflected in the history. If I do it with a comment however, it
seems to work fine.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a bit of functionality that's not
quite there?