Thomas - You are correct. It wouldn't be so bad if the RT site wasn't working.
If I use the exact same address I use for the web server in the rt-mailgate
scripts it fails. If I put that address into a web browser, I can use the
system as expected. I'm trying to figure out what the "disconnect" is now
between rt-mailgate and the server.

Well, that error message is pretty clear ? when fetchmail tries to spawn
rt-mailgate, that process can?t connect to RT.

You should replace SERVER:80 in your fetchmailrc with the URL you?re using to
connect  to RT in your browser.

HTH,

Thoomas