"I don't know exactly what everyone complaining is looking at. Without knowing what's
going on in the staff
meetings and on the practice and with personnel, it's sometimes easy to be an armchair
quarterback. I thought
that we've been very productive. We've averaged 6.1 yards a play. I think we've done
an effective job at times.
Schematically, we're probably a little different than the previous staff [Franchione].
But there are also a lot
of similarities to what they did [in the running game]. We've also taken bits and
pieces from the backgrounds
of others on this coaching staff and put them together. We're still teaching and we're
getting better every
day. Not having a spring practice together, we're still in the implementation stages
of this offense. Again,
we're very close. Sometimes it's a wide receiver, or the quarterback misses a read, or
an offensive lineman
misses an assignment, but our focus has been great and we're working on making the
corrections. And, yes, it
does hurt missing Justin Smiley. He's a big part of our success in the running game.
At the same time, we feel
that Atlas Herrion has come in and played well. For those that are upset, hang in
there with us. I think you're
going to see some exciting things in the near future. "

Roll Tide!!

"It wouldn't have been somewhere else," Shula said. "If
it hadn't been Alabama, I would have stayed where I was."