http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/11/24/3fc190836da60

Auburn newspaper backs away from challenge
>From staff reports
November 24, 2003

AUBURN - In a move that came as a surprise to almost no Crimson White staff members
Saturday, The Auburn Plainsman postponed its flag football game against The CW.

The move came a mere 30 minutes before the game, when Plainsman Editor Lindsay Evans
called with an assertion that all regular members of The Plainsman's flag football
team, with the exception of herself, were either sick or injured.

Evans offered to reschedule the game for Tuscaloosa in early to mid-December. CW
Editor Chris Sanders accepted the offer in principle.

The CW handily won the first Not-Quite Iron Bowl, 26-14, in Tuscaloosa in 2000. The
CW's fun-'n'-gun passing attack helped its Crimson Thunder football squad jump out to
an early 26-0 lead and cruise to victory.

Since then, The Plainsman has either ignored The CW's flag football challenges or
backed out of games at the last minute.

Sanders, who was set to make his head coaching debut Saturday, said he remains
skeptical that the game will happen at all this year.

Evans' cell phone was turned off Saturday afternoon, and she did not return messages
seeking further comment.

The Plainsman's postponement came too late for many CW staffers, who had already made
the three-hour trek across Alabama to the Plains.

Sports Editor Drew Champlin, one of the few CW staffers with a reason to be in Auburn
other than the flag football game, said the last-minute change left him bitter about
losing sleep.

"Basically, I woke up early this morning for nothing," Champlin said.

Student Life Editor Nick Beadle, who was in Auburn for the second time in three weeks,
expressed disappointment over the game's cancellation. Most of his comments cannot be
printed in a family newspaper.

Despite their disappointment, many CW staff members made the best of their situations.
Several visited with old high school friends who attend Auburn University, and others
obtained sweet deals on Iron Bowl tickets.

But others, tired of fighting traffic, getting no cell phone signals and wading
through a sea of orange and blue, could not stand to spend a minute more in the
purported "loveliest village on the Plains."

"Jesus, Auburn sucks," Beadle said.

and

http://www.cw.ua.edu/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/11/24/3fc1c30334599

When The Plainsman hands you lemons, make lemonade
The Short Bus
By Charlie Gasner
Assistant Sports Editor
November 24, 2003

Honestly, I half-expected that from The Auburn Plainsman.

Since 2001, I have been a part of Crimson White staffs that have tried to challenge
the Auburn weekly newspaper to a flag football game. In 2001 and 2002, they simply
declined the challenge ahead of time. This year, they did themselves one better: They
asked us to meet them in Auburn at their office. Roughly 10 of us obliged, even though
only about four had tickets to the game. Then, upon our arrival, The Plainsman
announced that it would not be playing due to a team-wide illness.

When one of our editors tried to call one of their editors for a more complete
explanation, she was first hung up on. When she called back a minute later, The
Plainsman representative had switched her phone to voicemail. Not only were they
ducking the game after we had made the trip, they were ducking the explanation and
apology for canceling the game in such a last-minute manner. Classy move.
[...]

kurt