From: 姜文颖
Date: 2023-09-20 15:50
To: Yingzhen Qu
CC: rtgwg; draft-cheng-rtgwg-sr
Subject: Re:Re: Questions about
draft-cheng-rtgwg-srv6-multihome-egress-protection
Hi Yingzhen:
We have addressed all the comments received till now. Co-authors believe this
document is mature enough,
and we hope to request WG adaptation.

1.
Comments1:  About PSD definition, in section 3.2, there are the following
texts:
" A penultimate SRv6 Segment Endpoint node is one that, as part of the
   SID processing, copies the last SID from the SRH into the IPv6
   Destination Address and decrements the Segments Left value from one
   to zero.
"
[wenying] In Section 3.2 of "Version 05", we have deleted the above description.

" The PSD operation only takes place at the egress node and does not
   happen at any transit node. When a SID of PSD flavor is processed at
   a transit node, the PSD behavior is not performed as described in
   the pseudocode below since Segments Left would not be 1 or 0.
" so to my understanding, P2 is the penultimate endpoint in the example in
Figure 1, correct? however there is "PSD-flavored SID" on PE3. Please clarify.

[Zhibo] Yes, your understanding is correct. We will modify the description
in the next version to avoid ambiguity.

[Yingzhen]: Please do. The second quoted text here is not correct.

[wenying] In Section 3.2 of "Version 05", we have modified the second quoted
text
as follows to avoid ambiguity:
“When a node (PE3 in Figure 1) receives a packet whose IPv6 DA is a SID with
PSD Flavor located in the penultimate position of the SRH Segment List
array,and
that SID is a local SID,it indicates to remove the outer encapsulation of the
packet,
and forward the packet according to the exposed packet.
Due to the above pseudocode modification,the PSD operation only takes place at
the egress node and does not happen at any transit node. When a SID of PSD
flavor is processed at a transit node, the PSD behavior is not performed since
Segments Left would not be 1 or 0.”

2.
Comments2:  In Section 4, "After the configuration,  PE1 determines that PE3's
backup SID is PE4's  VPN SID through the  routing optimization strategy of
BGP."
Can you please elaborate how PE1 decides PE4 to be the backup SID? What if the
path for P2 to reach PE4 is P2->PE3->PE4?

[Zhibo] According to the BGP route selection principle, the ingress PE node
selects
the preferred route as the primary node and the second-best route as the backup
node.
After egress protection is enabled, if PE3 fails, P2 forwards traffic to PE4.
If PE3 is
the next hop of P2, P2 will forwards traffic to PE4 through the TI-LFA backup
path.
This solution does not affect the implementation of this solution.

[wenying]
In Section 4 of "Version 05", we added the following explanation to provide
clarification:
“After the configuration, according to the BGP route selection
 principle, the ingress PE node selects the preferred route as the
 primary node and the second-best route as the backup node. PE1
 determines that PE3 is the primary egress node and PE4 is the backup
 egress node. PE3's backup SID is PE4's VPN SID.”

3.
Comments3: In section 3.4, it mentions that P2 could be several hops away from
the egress node. In this case, if PE3 fails, how does P2 detect the failure of
PE3
quickly? What  if a link between P2 and PE3 fails?

[Zhibo]
P2 detect the failure of PE3 via:
• IGP convergence
• BFD detection
Traditional FRR also maximizes the protection scope and preferentially
considers
node faults without distinguishing whether a link fault or node fault occurs.

BR.
wenying