I asked a similar question some weeks ago. You can disable TDMA. Have a
look at this mail:

http://www.mail-archive.com/rtnet-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg03152.html

I use on computer with RTAI and rtnet (configured with the nomac
discipline) and at the moment an embedded system without realtime
capabilities.

Andreas Kasper