Christopher Williams wrote:
> We're having a few people trip over this. We expect the directory which
> contains bin/ruby and lib underneath it. So for most unix installs, the
> right directory to choose is /usr or /usr/local.

This'll be a usability problem, so how about this:

Windows: No problem, I guess (Ruby is probably always installed
somewhere in C:\Program Files and users will know to look there);

Unix systems with package management:
 Well, I've used Debian for 6-7 years, and I've no idea where it dumps
its files;
 Solution: the StandardVMInstall could say "If os == linux (or something)
          1) look for [ /usr/bin/ruby, /usr/lib/ruby ], if that exists
-> pre-fill the RubyHome with "/usr"
          2) else look for [ /usr/local/bin/ruby, /usr/local/lib/ruby ]
if that exists -> pre-fill the RubyHome with "/usr"
          3) else: Other usual locations?
          4) else: tough luck, user's on their own;

Mac OS X:
  It's also a Unix with package management, but where does it normally
stuff Ruby? This location should be pre-filled too.

Comments?

murphee
-- Blog @ http://jroller.com/page/murphee Maintainer of EclipseShell @
http://eclipse-shell.sourceforge.net/