As someone who has commit to the project merging in spelling corrections
takes almost no time. I don't think getting fewer of these PRs would be a
huge net win (others with commit might disagree). As an occasional writer
of features and docs, it would be nice to get feedback right away that I
had made an error, but I find spell checking for technical documentation to
be very error-prone. I usually turn it off for my editors due to the sheer
volume of false spelling flags. If we did adopt some kind of a spell
checker I would want it to be more for information purposes than as a hard
blocker. If the accuracy looks good then we could eventually make it
mandatory.

--
Richard Schneeman
https://www.schneems.com