Yes, that's true (and strange). It should start swapping if nothing
else... but still... swapping is just as bad ... and 512MB should be
enough for my needs... the problem is finding out what is eating the
rest of the memory.

BTW - free reports this:

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:           510        470         40          0         11
45
-/+ buffers/cache:        413         97
Swap:            0          0          0

This is quite a problem for me and I hope someone can suggest a
solution! Thanx!

david