It's really hard to help you without seeing the code that is causing the
error and the log that gives the details of the error message.  For
example, your problem could be as simple as using *:style => *(singular)
instead of *:styles =>* (plural) in your model.

Also, it's could be that you are using a version of ruby and/or rails that
is not supported with the version of paperclip you have installed.  But, as
above, it's impossible to tell without more information.

That said, I often find the best way to build confidence in a new gem is to
follow the examples given in the documentation that comes with the gem.
Build yourself a new app that will only be used to upload and display
images.  Then follow through the examples given in the README.md at
https://github.com/thoughtbot/paperclip.

The paperclip gem and ImageMagick are tools that get a lot of use in RoR
code.  They will work for you if you follow the directions for use.