Hi Conrad,
I am just starting my adventure with rails, so I am trying to start
with the most recent versions of ruby and rails to not have to upgrade
and struggle later, when it will be the time to deploy the app.

I am using passenger (as recommended on RoR site). In fact, I just
discovered that passenger doesn't run very well on FreeBSD. Apache
managed to serve the general rails index page, but when I clicked
'About your application’s environment' I got internal server error and
the logs show something like:
/root/src/passenger/lib/phusion_passenger/abstract_server.rb:125:in
`fork': fork() function is unimplemented on this machine
(NotImplementedError)

But anyway, at least I am able to generate the project in rails, which
means that the rails version from subversion works fine. I used this
command to generate the project: "ruby vendor/rails/railties/bin/
rails ." The RC1 version fails when running the bin/rails script.

 rails -v: Rails 2.3.0 (this is the version installed by gem from
sources).
 ruby19 vendor/rails/railties/bin/rails -v: Rails 2.0.2 (well, that's
surprising!!!!! Did I get the version correctly? I issued the command:
"svn co http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk vendor/rails". How
version 2.0.2 could run on ruby1.9.1?)
 ruby -v: ruby 1.9.1p0 (2009-01-30 revision 21907) [amd64-freebsd7]
(no surprise as I changed the /usr/local/bin/ruby file to be a link to
ruby19)
 ruby18 -v: ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [amd64-freebsd7]
 ruby19 -v: ruby 1.9.1p0 (2009-01-30 revision 21907) [amd64-freebsd7]
 gem -v: 1.3.1 (I've created gem to be a link to gem19, I was not
installing gem for ruby18)

No, whenever I run the gem version of rails it fails with the error as
I provided in my email. The only command which seems to be working is
rails -v.

I installed ruby 1.9.1 from ports. I don't think there is a way of
configuring it. It was installed as 1.9. If it should be 1.9.1 then
maybe something is wrong with the port?

Yes, gem installed rails in the local repository because I was
installing as an unprivileged user. I didn't want to mess with rails
on root.
Thanks
Greg