Welcome to the cult. Older sites use older technology because - until 2 years
ago - Rails was a fringe player using an obscure language. Rails now leads the
adoption rate in new projects because it showcase what a fine language Ruby is.

Your site will easily plug into other sites' APIs because they always use some
interoperable format, such as XML.

AlwaysCharging wrote:

> So, why did I choose rails?  It seems to be the easiest to code it in
> and it's very well documented.  I hope that doesn't come back to bite
> me 'cause I'd rather put in extra work upfront to ensure the longevity
> of my site and the least amount of headaches in the future.

Then write lots of unit tests - preferably via Test-Driven Development. That
way
you can add new features, for a long time, without breaking existing features.

--
   Phlip