Interesting that no one hs yet mentioned emacs. I decided the other
day to give it a go since so many posters had raved about it and
Netbeans sluggishness was frustrating me.

Well I have to say it has been hard work getting into emacs.  I can
just about use the editor, and after a fair bit of fiddling, googling
and reading, I have rinari installed from ELPA and also emacs-rails.

Got the speedbar working for rails files - necessary for my transition
since I am finding grasping all the keyboard command sequences very
hard.

The biggest hurdle seems to be finding out exactly what can do with
it.  Syntax highlighting is great and being able to directly open
views from being in a controller action etc is great, but all the
other stuff seems a million miles away.

Although I am finding it difficult I intend to persevere, the thing I
feel that is slowing me down at the moment is switching between
buffers when working with multiple source files.

I have never done much with auto completion or snippets even with
Netbeans, but suspect that there is performance gain just waiting to
be harvested.  I am envious when I watch Ryan Bates editing code he
zips around so elegantly (I know that is Textmate but emacs is
supposed to come close to it)

There are some screencasts around for emacs and rails, but they have
no sound and the casters seem to forget that they are dealing with
novices and screens flash around with invsible keystrokes in a way
that makes my head hurt.  Nevertheless they do give an overview of
what is possible.

I havn't yet found a quick way to duplicate a line or series of lines
eg alt+ctl+down arrow in netbeans - if anyone can enlighen me I would
be grateful.

Tonypm