Hi everyone,
I wanted to quickly introduce myself here. My name is Michael Woerister and
I was accepted for Rust's Google Summer of Code project this year,
regarding debug symbol generation for rustc.

I've been following the Rust project for a while now and I'm really proud
that I can be a part of it. Rust already is a beautiful language and I hope
to be able to use it a lot in the future. It's great to get this
opportunity of contributing some to its progress!

A bit about the project:
Debugger support for Rust is very rudimentary at the moment. LLVM allows
for producing debug symbols during code generation but for this to work the
LLVM IR has to be annotated correctly with metadata. Some of this is
already implemented in "librustc/middle/trans/debuginfo.rs" but quite a
few things are still missing. At the same time the language is still
evolving and like other parts of the compiler the debug symbol code has to
keep up. Also new LLVM versions come with their needs for adaption.

My task over the summer will be to extend the code in debuginfo.rs to also
handle things like enums, traits, and closures, and just as important,
write more unit tests so the 5 lonely files in test/debug-info get some
company. The goal is that at the end of summer we will be able to debug
rustc itself with gdb.

I will post my weekly project updates to my github page:
http://michaelwoerister.github.io (nothing there yet)

I am grateful for any advice or comments. Also, I want to thank my 'GSoC
mentor' Josh Matthews who has been nothing but helpful so far :-)

Cheers,
Michael