On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Jason Fager <jfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you speak a little to the practical differences between owned boxes
> and ~[T]/~str?  How does the difference affect how I should use each?

I wrote the section on owned boxes in the tutorial currently in master, so
I would suggest reading that. It's very rare for there to be a use case for
an owned box outside of a recursive data structure or plugin system (traits
as objects).

The coverage in the tutorial of vectors/strings is not only lacking in
depth but is also *incorrect*, so I understand why there's a lot of
confusion about them.

Vectors/strings are containers, and aren't connected to owned boxes any
more than HashMap/TreeMap/TrieMap. I would prefer it if the syntactic sugar
didn't exist and we just had generic container literals, because it seems
to end up causing a lot of confusion.