I also agree that the way waf works is quite weird to use, but this is
actually how most of the installers works under windows or some on MacOS:
the code of the installers is embedded into the distributed package. This
violates the debian packaging rules, and I think this will be the same with
rust.

I however really like this approach. You don't have a huge among of
dependencies to setup in order to build your package. This is not a problem
on debian where apt does to marveillous job, but on Windows/Mac/generic
linux/arm, .. this is a nightmare.

One more point in favor of CMake to build rust: you can build
android/arm/misc (thanks to Makefile) with the same CMakeList.txt files, or
with external module inclusion. I also agree that its syntax used to be
quite ugly (the famous if() / else() / endif()), but not so much in the
lastest versions...
But if you require python for building, scons is the perfect, natural
candidate.

-----
Gaetan