In short:
 - everybody wants checked integer arithmetic because it helps to
write better code (thanks to compile time and runtime errors)
 - nobody wants to pay the price in performances, but maybe in the
future, hardware++ will make it easier... or so on...

What about:
 - Defining "safe" integer in Rust with strict and well defined rules.
 - Enforcing the rules is an incremental process.

At first, Rust will not enforce any rules, maybe in debug mode or what
not for who wants to pay the cost. One could add an attribute on
blocks to enforce runtime overflow check at all cost, when you really,
really need safety no matter the speed tradeoff. And in the future,
the compiler & standard library are free to effectively enforce more
of the rules, as performances tradeoff mitigate.

Its kinda like when C/C++ compiler started warning that not all cases
where handled in switch/cases on enums (yes I know our case is
different on many level).

What is important, is that the rules of the different safe integer
types are well defined, even if not necessarily enforced yet.

If you think about it, its better than nothing.

The goal is not to solve everything right now, but at least to define
the scope of the problem when it is still possible, before everybody
uses "unsafe integers", so it can be implemented in the future.