On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 05:41:21PM -0400, Aron Griffis <agrif...@n01se.net>
wrote:
> The current behavior of urxvt is to produce terminals of
> different widths depending on underlying xft libraries, whereas

So it seems waht is inconsisitent is the underlying xft (or freetype)
libraries.

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 07:57:02PM -0400, Aron Griffis <agrif...@n01se.net>
wrote:
> Note this is different from rxvt-unicode which includes
> double-width fonts in the rendering test, despite the comment in
> rxvtfont.C:

Can you explain the "despite the comment"? The comment doesn't claim pango
uses double-width characters. (assuming you mean characters when you say
fonts, as only one font is involved).

The problem is that when you ask freetype for a width, you sometimes get
the width of a double-wide character as base width, and sometimes that of
a single-width character. This is why urxvt has to measure it.

It doesn't help that many gnome programs, xterm and some terminal apps use
their own hardcoded table of character widths instead of relying on the
user-configured locale, as urxvt (and again, others) do.

I don't think this makes for the difference, however. Most likely urxvt
uses the spacing, while gnome-terminal the glyph width (both of which have
advantages and disadvantages).

> properly on my one system (Debian).  On my other system (Ubuntu
> Jaunty) I can't figure out the correspondance between the font
> sizes I request in gnome-terminal and the font sizes I request
> with size= or pixelsize= in urxvt. :-(

The letter spacing has nothing to do with font sizes. I would *expect*
gnome-terminal to use the equivalent of "size=", though, and wold be
surprised if it used it's own

In any case, your problem likely boils down to using a low-quality font that
is not suitable for charcell displays. Font quality plays a big role with
xft.

      ----==-- _       generation