Hi Stefan,

> > The previous versions (14.8.16 and earlier) did neither print these
> > warnings nor segfaulted.
>
> I consider these new verifications an improvement, you need to
> redirect standard error to /dev/null to get rid of those

But this discards all errors.  `foo 2> >(grep -v '^foo: bar$' >&2)'
avoids this, but is tedious, and breaks any synchronisation that foo
might do by flushing of stdout and stderr.

> (The idea is that we now catch things when they get set as necessary,
> and can use them without further tests from then on.

That sounds like a race condition.  :-)  Especially in a long-lived
program.  What later operations don't bother error checking because
$HOME is not writable, for example?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy