Hi,

On Tuesday, 26.03.2019 at 15:24, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> This should not be needed, you should be able to say
>
>   $ make SHELL=/what/you/want VAL_SHELL=/what/you/always/want
>
> and get along with it.  (As long as it is a somewhat compatible
> POSIX shell.)

No luck:

--- cut here ---
Operating system is Linux
Checking for basic utility set
Setting up configuration options ... done
Joining in ./make.rc ... ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Add support for history
management.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Add support for `(un)?bind'ing of key sequences.

ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_SOCKETS: support for GSS-API (Generic
Security Services
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Application Programming Interface) based
authentication, e.g.,
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Kerberos v5?  Available for IMAP and SMTP; can be
"require"d.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_SOCKETS: support for IMAP protocol?
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Requires $OPT_ICONV unless
$OPT_ALWAYS_UNICODE_LOCALE, in which

ERROR: invalid syntax in: # case it only warns.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # (Reading of mails directly on the server)  Can be
"require"d.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Enabling the MD5 message digest adds support for
several
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # authentication possibilities: POP3 (APOP), IMAP and
SMTP (CRAM-MD5).
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # They can be turned off by excluding MD5.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_SOCKETS: support for parsing of user and
password
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # credentials from the ~/.netrc file ($NETRC; see
*netrc-lookup*
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # manual entry).
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_SOCKETS: support for POP3 protocol?
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # (Download of mails via POP protocol)  Can be
"require"d.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_SOCKETS: support for SMTP protocol?
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # (Directly sending mails over the network)  Can be
"require"d.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_SOCKETS: support for Secure Socket Layer
(Transport Layer
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Security, TLS), i.e., encrypted socket connections;
can be
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # "require"d.  It also automatically enables support
for S/MIME
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # message signing, verification, en- and decryption.

ERROR: invalid syntax in: # This needs the OpenSSL (https://www.openssl.org) or
LibreSSL
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # (http://www.libressl.org) libraries.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # If $OPT_TLS: shall S-nail (try to) use mechanisms
to support
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # more digest and cipher algorithms than the few that
are
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # documented?  For S/MIME *smime-cipher* for example
this will
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # cause EVP_get_cipherbyname(3) to be tried shall the
(S-nail-)
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # built-in knowledge not suffice to understand the
user request.
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # Will create a large statically linked binary;
dynamically linked
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # the costs only arise once the extended lookup is
actually needed
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # (the first time).  Some TLS libraries will always
support all
ERROR: invalid syntax in: # algorithms.  This can be "require"d.
.obj/___tmp18: line 74: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
.obj/___tmp18: line 77: syntax error: unexpected end of file
done
ERROR: USE_PKGSYS: 0/n/false/no/off or 1/y/true/yes/on/require, got:
make: *** [makefile:22: config] Error 1
--- cut here ---

Tried this both with and without a symlink of /bin/sh -> /bin/bash, and
also with "env - make config" to rule out any nonsense polluting the
environment.

> Now you are funny..  A.K.A.: this is mysterious.  Are you saying
> that dovecot sends complete MBOX- rather than RFC 5322 messages
> over IMAP?  You see me entirely perplex.  I must admit i have not
> tested for some time now, as nothing has changed in this area.

Ha. Well, it may be that this is some years-old artefact from my migrating
from mbox to Maildir on the server, I mean really, like >10 years ago.
Having said that, neither mutt, Thunderbird, nor Roundcube have any
(visible) problem with my mailboxes.

> that is really terrible.  But Gunnar Ritters IMAP cache is really
> a smart idea, is it?

Yes, I've been using Mutt's implementation of this for ages.

Cheers,

-mato