Good evening.

Noctambule wrote in
 <dLA6_e_vNCbvsTxWwOXzqadfhZtjeE0Adiqth5iYNtLqoB8WlEqgxoP0FTh0mwb91LKK0J4\
 BmlSqoQrAIRGsswdlngGm9XxZ4EP44dQrGdQ=@protonmail.com>:
 |(sorry for the spam, the stupid ProtonMail webmail did not pick the
 |correct recipient)

Ah, no problem :)

 |>|I'm using s-nail 14.9.22 from Voidlinux and I tried to display HTML \
 |>|emails
 |>
 |> Thanks to Leah who now maintain it so wonderful! Thanks, Leah!
 |
 |Yes, that is true, thanks to Leah (I hope you notice our mails). I \

I .. wonder what you mean by that.

 |was happy
 |to see s-nail finally adopted and updated.

But that: me too!

 |>|Unfortunately, when I read a message, the HTML is simply not displayed.
 |> That looks if the HTML is part of a multipart/alternative MIME
 |> message. We always go for the text part then, but you could
 |>
 |> set mime-alternative-favour-rich
 |>
 |> to select the HTML version instead. This mechanism is pretty
 |> primitive in pre-v15, other MUAs allow reordering and listing
 |> priorities, but i use this setting myself since some
 |> correspondences simply have an empty text "alternative" which
 |> refers to the HTML one instead, so i have no choice. (And i am
 |> too lazy and/or the MUA is not (yet) sophisticated enough to
 |> filter for something and be selective about it.)
 |
 |Yeah, same problem here. Some emails will show "Visit this URL
 |to read your email" in text/plain. That was the issue.
 |Ohh, perfect, thanks ! I wonder how I managed to miss this option
 |in the manpage, I feel quite ashamed to bother you. Right now, I
 |decided to use
 |
 |set print-alternatives
 |
 |as it allows me to display all subparts. But in the future, I may

Yes, that is also an option :)

 |define a define with mime-alternative-favour-rich + commandalias,
 |just to display HTML on a selected mail. Something like :
 |
 |define showhtml {
 |  set mime-alternative-favour-rich
 |  type "$@"
 |  unset mime-alternative-favour-rich
 |}
 |commandalias html call showhtml

  define showhtml {
    \local set mime-alternative-favour-rich
    \type "$@"
  }
  commandalias html \\call showhtml

Works too.  What unfortunately does not work is

  define showhtml {
    \local set mime-alternative-favour-rich pipe-text/html=?h?
    \type "$@"
  }
  commandalias html \\call showhtml

to temporarily force usage of the builtin HTML viewer.
I see.  That is a good suggestion, i will see whether i can add
this for v14.10!

 |>|plain text with the following command. It has no effect :
 |>|
 |>| set pipe-text/html=?t
 |>|
 |>|The trick was to use 'set pipe-text/html=?', without the 't'. Could it
 |>|be possible that the '?h' we saw earlier from mime types, is not
 |>|understood ?
 |>
 |> t is optional, ? and ?t should be the same thing. Hmm, we do test
 |> these act equally. Hm. And yes, the order of MIME types matters.
 |> These ?xy type-markers are the last possible source of
 |> information. (This is documented in the manual section "HTML mail
 |> and MIME attachments".)
 |
 |Yes, I was a bit vague. I did not understand why '?' worked and not '?t'
 |as they are the same. After what you told me earlier, I finally figured
 |it out.

I will try to add type-marker support to pipe-text/html=?XY?, then
you could localize all the changes.  (And do not have to fiddle
around with unmimetype or mimetypes-load-control.)

 |>|Going back to s-nail (as I was already doing in 2014) after using a
 |> Well, thank you. So much to do still, but i really would like to
 |> see it furtherly improved for sure. I am just too slow ...
 |> Thanks.
 |
 |I think many things were already improved a lot, I saw it when I had to
 |update my config after s-nail was updated in Void. That's not that slow :)

Ok, compared to 14.8.16 a lot of things happened, but the most
important things (MIME part addressing of all sorts, feeding
anything via -t, OpenPGP support) is still missing ;-).

 |Ciao from a cold location.

Ah, we had a >25° Celsius push from ~-11 to ~+15 a few days ago,
which was just fantastic.  And i think last night was the last one
with freezing water on the outside.  Plants are coming back since
three or four days, and i saw bird marriages from a sideglance two
days ago.  It really seems we made it!!!

Ciao from Germany,

--steffen